Friday, November 4, 2011

Time passes slowly

Well, it's been a slow (read: boring) week. 

I'm still wearing the cervical collar and it's about driving me nuts.  Imagine wearing a bucket on your head all day and you'll have some idea of what it's like.  Totally irritating, uncomfortable, restricts your vision (can't turn your neck to look to the side) - just a real pain in the butt. 

I went to the doctor earlier in the week for a progress report.  He didn't do a scan or xray or anything, just checked on how I was feeling.  He showed me a spine & skull model to pinpoint where I was injured.  The tiny jelly bean sized protuberances on the very base of the skull, where it rests against the top vertebrae, are where the fracture occured.  He said it was a hairline fracture with no displacement, which is how I managed to get away without having to have a steel halo drilled into my skull for two months.  Of course when you look at that possibility I sound like a cry baby whining about wearing a cervical collar.  He said I'll have to wear it for 8 weeks - so according to my calendar that means on December 13 I'm going to be able to take it off.  Oh, and I found out that when I was so irritated that the doctor never even stopped in to see me when I was in the hospital - he did come in and discuss the situation.  I was just so loopy from the concussion and the morphine that I totally don't remember it.


I've also managed to get a cold, which doesn't help the general situation.  A bunch of people at work were sick in the last week or two, so it's not really surprising but that doesn't make it any more fun.  And since I've been sick I've been having a TERRIBLE time sleeping at night.  It doesn't take too many nights of nearly no sleep before you feel like a piece of chewed gum.  I'm probably going to see if I can get some antibiotics next week.

My cousin Barb, who lives down in North Carolina now, is competing in her first Ironman competition down in Florida this weekend.  She's been training like a pro all summer and seems to be as ready as possible.  It's such a grueling event, and to have to be doing the whole thing with the crowd of other competitors - totally intimidating.  My hat goes off to her - total admiration for taking on such a challenge and facing it with such determination.  I'm sure she'll do great!

Kenny took the Picture of the Day for today.  I decided it's not against the rules, because I'm making up the rules as I go along (makes things a lot easier - I may start doing that for other stuff on a daily basis as needed).  I call this one "protecting the wounded".



No comments:

Post a Comment