Sunday, April 1, 2012

Time Warp

When I wrote my last post, the one talking about how I spent the whole weekend doing trail work, it turns out that I had an unseen passenger.  Behind my left knee, the one that doesn't move around so well so I can't actually SEE the back of it, there was a tick.  I didn't find the little monster until Tuesday, so that means that it was there at least two days, and according to what I could find out, that meant that there was a better chance that it could have transferred bad juju to my bloodstream.  Then when I got sick the next day, with a fever that just wiped me out, I really started to worry.


When I got hold of my doctor and described my symptoms he basically said "Get in here right now."  That's never a comforting thing to hear from your physician.  So I went in and they drew blood for tests and started me on some drugs in case I started to grow Lymes.  But regardless of what it was, I was miserable - fever, congestion, achy and it felt like my IQ had been reduced by 50%.  But I finally got the blood test results back after the weekend and found out that I didn't have Lyme Disease - just some sort of cold (ain't the power of paranoia a wonderful thing?)


But I did spend about ten days down and out.  I went to work the whole time - when you work at a desk with a computer there's not much difference between sitting at work being miserable and sitting at home being miserable.  But my head was so scrambled that it almost seems like the whole time I was sick didn't really happen - the Severe Cold Time Warp. It's not like I did anything that I could look back on, just sit around in a fog being sick.  But finally I'm more or less back with the rest of the world (as much as ever, anyways) and able to actually participate in living.


But after nothing going on for a week and a half I started to get my energy back towards the end of the week, and on Friday I headed down to Beaver Creek after lunch.  My plan was to get in a ride and then do a small amount of work on the new trail.  But as I've learned before, you're never ahead of downed trees when you're maintaining a trail.


There were two new trees down on Dogwood Trail.  I only had my small saw in my pack, so I couldn't clear them but I did get rid of all the branches so that you could at least lift a bike over easily.  That took up some of my trail work time, but I did get a chance to do some more benching on the hillside section of the new trail.  That has to be some of the rockiest soil I've ever seen up there, the exact opposite of the silty soil at the North Road trail project.


Next weekend there's going to be a big Beaver Creek trail work day, where I get a chance to do more than just a little bit of work at a time.  But this weekend it was time to work on North Road Nature Preserve.  Only a small crew showed up - just four of us - but we put in a good morning of work and finished cutting the corridor for the reroute around the wettest section.  The woods are waking up to spring pretty quick this year, which isn't suprising I guess considering we only had a quarter of a winter.

For TJ - this is the trail wagon from earlier in the year.
Then on Sunday afternoon my brother and I headed over to Moraine for a ride.  I was feeling a bit less than perfect with a nice headache going on, but I'd been thinking about riding all week so I was going to give it a shot.  And it turned out so fine - one of those nice, long rides in nice conditions with good company when it seems like you're firing on all cylinders and riding at the top of your ability.


I can hardly even attempt to describe how great it was.  A TOUGH ride, with lots of technical stuff to push yourself against.  No big falls, no crashes, no bike parts broke.  After a week and a half of time warp flu it was exactly what I needed.  I'm feeling sore from my legs to my shoulders, and I can tell I'm going to sleep like a rock tonight, but it's all good.


Also, this week my son Kenny graduated from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts.  He left Webelos with the Super Achiever award, which you only get if you complete every single one of the Webelos achievements.  He did a heck of a job and I'm EXTREMELY proud him.

2 comments:

  1. First: Congratulations to Kenny! I never made it past Webelos and it is one of the disappointments of my life. Growing up in Indiana I had a dream of being a Sea Scout but something went wrong.

    Second: Dude! That tick thing would have sent me over! As I mentioned earlier in the year, I had some kind of protracted flu/cold that left me not bedridden, but I might as well have been. Listless and absent and coughing and miserable. I have yet to get my energy back in full. Fifty miles is about all I got in me before I start yearning for my chair and my computer. I don't know if it is old age or what. But ticks? I have a deep paranoia of brown recluse spiders. I have known a few people who were bitten and man, it is a problem. And my work here at the park involves a lot of crawling around in recluse habitat.

    But I'm glad it was a false alarm. Do you think your illness was psychological or coincidental? Strange either way.

    Third: I have one of those wagons! They're great! We use it for all manner of work here at the Pines. Once you have one of these you wonder how you ever got by without it. But I gotta ask: Have you tried to ride it on a downhill yet? If you do, get video.

    yer pal, tj

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was just a coincidenct that I had to get sick right then (and then Fate laughed). My wife got it too, and is still trying to get over it. Let me tell you, I don't like any parasites - mosquitos etc - but ticks push me over the line. Damn things.

    One of the reasons I've mostly kept out of the Deep South is the fact that in the warm temps the bugs get HUGE. I can deal with our relatively small critters up here, but it's ridiculous down there. For example, I don't need to see a 4" diameter spider in the shower. Hell no.

    That wagon is great. I've pulled it MILES loaded up with rocks and tools. If we had hills where we're building it might be a different deal, but it's nice and flat so it works fantastic.

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete